DAMN, DAMN, DAMN!!!!! As I was taking a break from writing about the wonderful worlds of interferon-alpha and S-adenosylmethionine I stumbled across the following video:
WHAT?!?!? Are these fools serious?!?! File this under "When Your Homies are Your Haters" and call it a day. Clearly, these fools run with a pack of fools who condone, support, and encourage this nonsense. I do not even know where to begin! Yes, I do. People who know me know that I am all about good music and good lyrics, neither of which are displayed in the above video. People who know me know I LOOOOOOVE me some old school slow jams because they got the point across without being too explicit. Gone are the days of "Turn off the lights and light a candle..." RIP to the days of "Until the end of time, I'll be there for you..." Today, it's all about "Turn around bitch and let me put it ya butt! Spread dem legs ho, it's time to bust a nut!" (I made those up, but someone's probably recorded something similar) I mean, are these fools serious?!?!? Unfortunately, they are. I prefer a little subtlety.
The next issue I have is the message, or lack thereof, this is sending to our young ladies. Given the high incidence of HIV, the alarming rate of teen pregnancy, all the babies born to single mothers, STDs, etc, I can't even laugh at this. And I am so disappointed in the hoodrat singin' the chorus! I wonder how many young girls have sang this thinking it's cute? Seriously. Y'all know we've come to a point where a lot of young ladies think they have to emulate what they see on TV or hear in songs. This song is basically saying, "it's cool, we can raw dog it, just don't bust in me." This is a hot ass mess! I am so glad I was born in the 70's and came up in a time when the song lyrics were more subtle and respectful.
While I'm on the subject of song lyrics, can someone tell me when and where the meeting took place when they decided women had to be treated like common whores in order for a song to get air play? I think it may have been in the 90's when our music was a little more conscious. Back when people were rockin' Africa medallions, Malcolm X shirts, and sporting red, black, and green. Anyway, after watching that foolishness and being reminded of all the other BS "music" that infiltrates my life daily, I must cleanse my eyes and ears. Thank goodness for Goodie MOB who reminded us, "You're my beginning, my end. You're my sister, lover, and friend..." Thank you Outkast for reminding us that we're slum beautiful and drive you plum crazy. Thank you Mos and Talib for reminding us we're, "fruitful, beautiful, smart, lovable, huggable, doable like art..." And thank goodness I was born in the 70's and grew up listening to real music.
No comments:
Post a Comment